- of Huntington, Adams Co., Penn.
William Wierman was one of the first settlers and a large land owner in Adams County, Pennsylvania. He settled on 500 acres of land on Bermudian Creek in Huntington Township (near York Springs) by the year 1738 (originally Lancaster, later York, now Adams County). He and his family became Quakers at about this time. Within 4 years he had been granted an additional 500 acres adjacent to his original tract. Eventually he owned over 1200 acres of land in Adams County and built one of the first mills in the area.
Family legend states that William, a young German physician, went to Holland where he married Gertrude Seitman (or Sateman). Shortly after the marriage, they emigrated to Pennsylvania.
It appears that by 1717 they lived in Germantown, Pennsylvania, and probably were members of the Mennonite Church there. In 1723, the family moved to Skippack Creek in present day Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, where William purchased 57 acres of land and was a farmer and a chemist. In 1729, he purchased an additional 137 acres near the Mennonite metting house.
Once in Adams County, he is listed as one of the 4 men in Huntington Township “of the most remarkable Inhabitants in the several townships & Settlements over Susquehanna ... fit to discharge Publick Office,” and was sent to the Provincial Government at Philadelphia in 1749. [1, 2]