|Birth||1643||Isle of Wight, England |
|Ancestor of /
|both Margaret Rebecca Simpson and her husband William Owings Stone (Owings was an 8th cousin of Thomas Albert Simpson, her father)|
|Death Note||An obituary appearing among the archives of St. Ann’s Parish: “November 29, 1707: Then was Buried by the Reverend Mr. James Wolton Rector of St. Ann’s Parish, the Honourable John Hammond, Esq., Major Genll of the Western Shore of This Her Majesty’s Province of Maryland, and one of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Councell, and Judge of the High Court of Admiralty in the said Province.”|
His will names sons Charles, Thomas, John, and William, and wife Mary.
Hammond, John,A. A. Co.,11th Nov., 1707;
4th Dec., 1707.
To wife Mary, 250 A., dwelling plantation and land “Mount any Neck,” also 22 A., “The Addition,” during life.
To eld. son Thomas and hrs., land afsd. at decease of wife, also 220 A., “Heath” in Patapscoe where he now lives, and 100 A., “Wheatley Neck” and £75 to be invested in land.
To son John, plantation on n. side Severn R. where he now lives, and that part of “Swan Neck” lying toward Severn R. (For description see will). Also 100 A., “Horners” bought from Thos. Reynolds, 50 A., “The Adventure” and 50 A., “Forked Neck.”
To son William, plantation on which he lives, residue of “Swan Neck,” 100 A., “Strawberry Plain,” 400 A., “The Addition” and 50 A., “Brushy Neck.”
To son Charles, 100 A., “Flushing,” 50 A., “Deep Creek Poynt,” 284 A., “Rich Neck” at Patuxent R., and 362 A., “Hammond's Forest.”
To 3 sons, John, William and Charles afsd., all houses, lots, etc. in Annapolis.
To St. Ann's Church, Annapolis, £10.
Exs.: 4 sons afsd.
Test: John Brice, Henry Pinkney, Eliza: Abrahams.
By codicil, 13th Nov., 1707, testator leaves certain personalty to 4 sons afsd. 12. 184.
MARYLAND CALENDAR OF WILLS: Volume 3 [3, 4, 6]
|Fact||The first records of John Hammond show that he refused to fight because of his religion. For this a fine was imposed upon his father (!).|
John Hammond was a Judge of Vice Admiralty, Maj.-Gen. of Western Shore, Maryland., member of the House of Burgesses, Member of His Majesty's Council.
The first mention of John Hammond in any offical capacity is in 1685 when he is one of the town Commissioners of Providence. In this year he began his career as Justice of the Peace, or of the County Court. In 1685 he received his commission. A Justice in the Colonial times was a very dignified office. They with the members of the quorum comprised the County Court. They were the representative men of the period.
In 1689 at the time of the Protestant Revolution he was selected "for regulating the affairs civil in Anne Arundel County" and is recorded as a member of the Quorum. He was commissioned 1686 and in 1692 he was again a member of the Quorum. His services in this line did not end here for in 1693, 1694, 1695, and 1696, he was again Commisssioner of the Peace.
In 1702 he became Judge of the Vice Admiralty, took the oath of allegiance and oath of Trade and subscribed the test.
In 1694 he was again chosen to represent Anne Arundel Co. in the Assembly, at this time he is spoken of as Captain. The Assembly in Maryland was called the House of Burgesses at this time.
The oath taken by the Burgesses at this time is as follows:
"We, the subscribers, do declare that we do believe that there is not any transubstantiation in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, or in the elements of bread and wine or after the consecration thereof by any person whatsoever."
Captain John Hammond took this oath on September 21, 1694. It was in this year that he was appointed one of the Commissioners to lay out Oxfordtown in streets, alleys and lanes. Another interesting entry in the events of this year is as follows: In 1695 he is still a member of the Assembly. At this time a new Court House was being erected at Anne Arundel and he with a few others, Captain Hill and Colonel Ridgely, were appointed Overseers to see that the work was well done. The members of the Assembly received at this time 140 pounds of tobacco per day, he was paid 1680 pounds for his twelve days attendance at a session on the 21st day of May, 1695. On May 22, he was on the Committee to inspect the accounts of the I p. hogshead since the Revo. (??)
Only once is he noted as coming in after roll call. At the October session he and Major Hill were called upon for a report on erecting and finishing the new Court House to be made to council. The May session of the Assembly authorized further addition to the State House and Maj.-Gen. John Hammond was appointed one of the Commissioners and later on was chairman of the Committee. The entry on May 11, 1696 shows that John Cross (his petition read, Ordered) Major Hammond ... (agreed and treat with the said) Cross for keeping the publique ferry (over South River and) that all persons not inhabitants of (this province crossing) the said ferry pay his his reasonable reward therefor.
In this year at the May session the House of Burgesses sent an address to the King of England congratulating him on his return from Flanders and restoration of peace. John Hammond's signature was affixed to this document with the other Burgesses. 
|Military Note||On July 17, 1707, he was again appointed Major-General to command the Militia of the Western Shore, which office he held at the time of his death in November 1707. This made him the chief military officer of the Western Shore.|
|Real Estate||He willed "Mount Airy's Neck", his Plantation to his son, Thomas Hammond and "Swan's Neck" to William; "Deer Creek Point" to Charles with "Rich Neck" also "Hammond's Forest".|
|Religion||Quaker/later Church of England|
|Died||24 Nov 1707||Anne Arundel Co., Maryland |
|Buried||29 Nov 1707||St. Anne's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Annapolis, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland |
|Person ID||I1192||Owings Stone Genealogy, Ancestry & Heritage|
|Last Modified||10 Sep 2006 00:00:00|
|Father||THOMAS HAMMOND, b. Abt 1611, England|
|Family ID||F3784||Group Sheet|
|Family||MARY HOWARD, b. Abt 1649, Lower Norfolk Co., Virg.|
|Family ID||F423||Group Sheet|
Copyright © 2004-2008 Owings Stone.
All rights reserved.