- A George Murdock was an elector from Maryland in both the 1796 and 1800 elections.
In 1726, St. Johns Parish was split, with Eastern Branch, Rock Creek and Pattowmack Hundreds forming Rock Creek Parish. The Rev. Mr. Murdock began serving the parish in 1727 and then for 34 more years. He was the first clergyman to reside within the District of Columbia. (Note: It appears that this source is less than accurate -- from the information below, that this is a misstatement of the actual facts -- especially since the District didn’t exist until after his death.)
In 1725, George Murdock was the minister at The Dover Church in Goochland County in Virginia, and later the rector of All Saint at Frederick, Md.
A letter dated 3 March 1737 states, “The Rev. George Murdock was ordained Deacon by the Rt. Rev. Father in God, Edmund, Lord Bp. of London in the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, London, on Sunday 20th day of Feby. in the year of our Lord 1724 and was ordained priest by the Rev. Father on the 29th of the same month in the royal chapel at St. James in presence of William Powlett, Not’y. Publ.”
There is a deed dated 29 Aug. 1738 from Thomas Williams to George Murdock for 2 acres of land for a chapel in Prince George Parish. At that time the Parish was large and included where Washington and Georgetown are, plus part of Carroll and all of Frederick, Washington and Alleghany Counties. The part of the county the parish was in later became Montgomery County and later the District of Columbia and is known as St. Paul’s. Rock Creek Church.
In 1730, Thomas Beall Jr sold George 150 acres of land near the church for a sum of 100 pounds sterling..
The evidence for his marriage to Eleanor Sprigg, widow of Thomas Hilleary first, then of John Nuthall, is as below. It is believed they were married in 1728/29 and that she was the daughter of Thomas Sprigg and Eleanor Nuthall of Prince George’s County, Maryland.
John Pratt caused to recorded two indentures in March 1727 apparently before Eleanor’s marriage to George. One granted her daughter Eleanor Pratt a part of the parcel of land in Prince George’s County known as Sprigg’s Request. The second, calling herself “Eleanor Nuthall, widow” grants “my daughter Mary Nuthall, spinster” a slave and horse.
On 6 Feb. 1728/29, George and Eleanor Murdock gave to their daughter Mary Nuthall, spinster, part of Sprigg’s Request.
A document recorded in 1741 clarifies the relationship between Eleanor Sprigg Nuthall Murdock with John Pratt. In it Hilleary Williams acknowledged receipt of money from his guardian George Murdock due from his father Baruch William’s estate and specifically references his mother “Mrs. Eleanor Pratt.” accordingly, Hilleary Williams is Eleanor Murdock’s grandson through her daughter Eleanor Hillary, and that Eleanor Hilleary’s first husband was Baruch Williams.
When George died, he left a will giving his son William Murdock his dwelling plantation house and land and also left land to two grandsons, George Murdock and George Beall. He left slaves to his son William and daughter Ann Beall, and to grandchildren George, Priscilla, Eleanor and Martha Murdock and to Elizabeth, William Murdock, and Elisha Beall. [3, 4, 5]